Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 3 - Wellington to Christchurch

One word - F***ING WET!!!

From the moment I drove off the ferry at Picton to when I drove in to the hotel in Christchurch it didnt stop raining, and when I say rain, I mean pelting rain with minimal visibility.

Jumped on the ferry early this morning in Wellington and met another biker heading home to Christchurch - he kindly showed me how to use the tie ons (thanks Scottie :) effectively and as we were sorting it out a young fella on a sport bike managed to knock his bike over while he was trying to tie it up. Luckily, no damage.

Anyway, it was a fairly calm sail across the water to the Marlborough Sounds. When we arrived in Picton there was no visibility and by Blenheim I was soaked - I have to say though that my wet weather gear was great and when I arrived here in Christchurch I realised my body was actually dry, it was just my hands and feet that were wet.

(NOTE TO ME - Buy thermal gloves and socks for next leg of journey)

Even though the weather was crap, I really enjoyed the ride. Even stopped at Kaikoura for half a crayfish and hot chocolate to warm the insides and my hands. Set off round the curly bits and this was when the weather was the worst. Once I got to the plains was able to crank it up a bit and for most of the journey shared the road with a white Ford Falcon.

As I arrived in to Christchurch the tripomenter showed 1000km's for the journey so far and only a few km's to go until the old girl celebrates her 40,000km mark.

Anyway, now at my work conference for the next three days before heading to Queenstown on Thursday. I must say the journey itself makes the work conference a side event (but shhh...dont tell my boss) :)

Will blog again at the end of the week probably.

So far, even with some iffy weather, a hell of a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Mrs D said...

Awesome Nick....am so pleased the trip has been enjoyable for you!
Now to get the work part over with and hopefully some great weather for the ride home!
xx Mitch