Saturday, June 19, 2010

Why do you love it so much?

I have had quite a stressful couple of months at work and it never ceases to amaze me how I feel like a new person when I get a chance to get out on the bike. Because of the nature of my job I am constantly on call with the cell phone and I think that one of the things I love about been on the bike is the fact that I cant answer my phone and because I need to concentrate on the road ahead it makes me relax. That is the power of "the ride"

Today the weather has been cold and overcast and I did not have a lot of time on my hands, however, I felt the urge to get out. With limited time and living in the middle of the city my options were a little limited. I decided to do a "motorway loop" - yes, not the most exciting but even the short ride down to Manukau, across to the airport (stopping to watch a couple of planes take off and land), down the new motorway to Sandringham and back home was relaxing.

So, what is it about jumping on your bike that you love?

2 comments:

Geoff James said...

An excellent question Nick! I think it's worth pondering on because it's so good for the soul.

Freedom, extending the senses... who knows?

I asked a similar question of myself (you can still argue with yourself!)and these were the thoughts I had: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-do-we-ride.html.

I certainly don't feel the same sense of freedom and elation on 4 wheels although sailing comes a slightly distant second.

Raftnn said...

I have no Idea really why I love motorcycling, although like Geoff I love sailing also. I think it is just the freedom...You drive a car because you need to get some where, you ride a bike because you never want to get there!