Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Naughty Mid Week Ride....

I woke up this morning and looked out my window and saw blue sky - lots and lots of blue sky - and thought - ride!

Actually I had been contemplating it last night as when I looked at my diary I had no appointments lined up for the day so the fact that the day dawned fine was just an added bonus.

I set off home and promptly forgot my camera but decided not to come back for it. I decided to head north as I would encounter less of the morning commuter traffic. I set off from home in Freemans Bay and the first stop was to fuel up. At the local Caltex I met a fella who was waiting for a tow truck to turn up to pick up his bike as the electrics had all failed - felt really sorry for him, expecially with this great weather!

As I headed north I immediatly settled in to the rhythms and sounds of the old girl (BTW I have now named my new "old girl" - Big Bertha - it came to me as I was watching some of the sporties zigzagging between traffic on the motorway thinking about my extra wide girth - both rider and bike :)

Before I knew it, I was at the foot of the Brenderwyns and ready for breakfast so stopped at the cafe and had great tasting scrambled eggs and flat white and soaked in the early morning sunshine. Next stop - Whangarei - zipped through Whangarei in no time and as I headed further North the traffic lessened. At Kawakawa I carried north to Kaikohe and for a brief moment contemplated carrying on the Cape Reinga but then decided to head west to Omapere along some magical roads, through the forest, past Tane Mahuta and on to Dargaville. Through Dargaville with a late lunch stop just south and then popped out at the Brenderwyns again and back home down SH1..... about 560km's

I'm still smiling :)


View Larger Map

4 comments:

Geoff James said...

Nick - what a lovely ride - impromptu ones are always special. Hoping to head up that way with the lads after xmas.

Safe riding...

kiwionabike said...

Cheers Geoff ... :)

Raftnn said...

Did some of those roads recently. always a good ride and a great day for it. I am somewhat envious!~

kiwionabike said...

Great to catch up Roger ... it is indeed 2 degrees of separation in little old NZ :)Cheers, Nick.