Sunday, January 23, 2011

So, where exactly is my home country of New Zealand???

I am loving this internet blog thing - I am loving dropping by passionate peoples blogs from all over the world, being given the priviledge of learning about their lives, loves and passions. It does not really matter where you are in the world, because we all have very similar hopes, dreams, dramas, celebrations. We just do it with a slightly different accent or language, thats all. I have always had a passion for travelling and geography, so whenever I stop by a blog I quite often google your location to learn a little bit about your area and/or country. It helps as I dream my big travelling dreams.

So, I thought it may be useful to share about my city and country for those of you who live further afield and maybe do not know a lot about our beautiful little country down the bottom of the world....

So, here it is, New Zealand .... past Australia (about a four hour plane ride) and a mere 12 - 13 hour flight to Los Angeles, USA or a 22 - 23 hour flight (with quick fuel stop either through Asia or the States) to London in the UK. Adventure Tourism is a big money earner for New Zealand and we have millions more sheep than people :)

Yes, we are a long way from anywhere, but it has its advantages thats for sure - generally we are a laid back bunch of approximately 4 million through the whole country. We are a young country by world standards and we have the most wonderful mix of people who originally come from all corners of the globe. We are a creative bunch of individuals and if you ever come across Kiwis (New Zealanders) in your travels, they may often be found travelling "the budget way" with a back pack, wanting to meet the locals and will be the first to offer you a beer and share a laugh.

New Zealand
 I live in Auckland, our biggest city at approx 1 1/2 million people. I am a city dweller, living in my own apartment where I have been for the last 12 years. Auckland is a "water based" city with dormant volcanoes dotted through the area. It is truly a beautiful city (we do have our share of traffic problems, etc, etc).


Thanks to google images for these snaps
Below is a snap from my apartment...

When Im sitting in my deck...this is what I see

Motorbike Riding.....

We have some of the most magnificent riding roads in the world ... just check out some of the photos through this blog, however, if you are after miles of straight roads that go on for miles, this is not the place to come.

For those of you who live in the States, to give you an idea, our main road through the country "State Highway One" would be like one of your minor roads. We do have a motorway system - all going in to our biggest cities, but the rest of the country is covered by single lanes on either side with passing lanes every now and then, and every type of scenery you can imagine. Our speed limit on the open road is 100km's, with usually a 10km "buffer"



Like most people on the planet I love where I live. :)

I have been fortunate in my life in that I have travelled a lot through many parts of the world (so much more to see tho) When I left school at 17, I did the kiwi thing and went on my "OE" (overseas experience), took my back pac and travelled through much of Europe with very little money and had those experiences that you can only have when you are that age, when you think you are indestructable and its all about the "now" I.ve had a couple of subsequent trips through the years - a road trip in the states, motorbike trip through Europe and a few small jaunts in between.

I am now way overdue to start planning my next big trip - and this one will be a biggie - Im planning to motorcycle through Canada, the USA and Mexico. Im getting excited just thinking about it!

The big question is how the hell am I going to pay for it??? :)

So. my challenge to you is to start googling your cyber friends locations and grow your knowledge about wehre everyone comes from.


 Cheers, Nick.

16 comments:

Geoff James said...

Superb post Nick!

Unlike you, I wasn't born here (conceived in India, born in the UK)but in 1975, I chose to live in NZ and share the same passion for the place.

Not sure we should really disclose where we are. As you say, being tucked away in a remote part of the world has definite advantages these days! Always feel that little tingle when flying back into the country.

Lovely location of your apartment!

Donna aka Froggi said...

Thanks so much for sharing. Years ago in my corporate career, I almost got to go to NZ for several weeks of training. It fell through but I never lost the "want to".

Someday..... ;-)

Raftnn said...

Could not of said it better myself..........but we shouldnt really let everyone know our secret!!! But it is hard to keep such a good thing quiet! Great post Nic.

kiwionabike said...

Thanks chaps :) Nice to know someones reading it :)

kiwionabike said...

Hey Donna ... its never too late :) .... Imagine your RV travelling through NZ .. now that would be a site! :)

the rider said...

Nice post, great pictures. I have been to NZ visited the mussel farming industry in Coromandel but never got the opportunity to ride a bike in that beautiful country. I didn't know Geoff or Raftnn then either unfortunately. I have a brother, two brothers-in-law and a sister-in-law all living in Auckland so hopefully one day I will visit again and meet all of you for a breakfast run.

Mike said...

Nick - thanks for visiting my blog and your comment! You have a real nice blog here and I too really like the location of your apartment. I had no idea Auckland looks like that!

I've never been to Europe but have always wanted to visit. Now thanks to you and the other Kiwi's I'd like to go to NZ too.

kiwionabike said...

Thanks guys for all your positive comments - there are just so many beautiful places to see in the world on two wheels - it's a pity that work has to get in the way - I'm off to buy a lotto ticket then I can come and visit everyone :)

Geoff James said...

Nick:
Work doesn't get in the way of certain semi-retired people who can decide whether to take the odd consultancy job ;-)

kiwionabike said...

Im pleased you cant see what signal Im giving :) ... I only have another 30 years to go then I can retire.

SonjaM said...

I did the smart thing, I m from Europe, spent much time traveling there, now live in Canada, traveled much in North America, and work for a Kiwi company. So I had the fortune to visit this wonderful country, too (t least the Northern island) for my training, and a visit of the headquarter.
New Zealand is a wonderful pace to live, but don't tell anyone otherwise everybody wants to live there.

kiwionabike said...

hehe Sonja ... yes, we like to keep it a secret.

bluekat said...

You live in such a beautiful place. Some friends of ours took a driving/walking vacation there, and brought back tons of wonderful images from their trip. Would love to visit someday.

kiwionabike said...

Hi bluekat ... it is well worth the visit :)

Bucky said...

Your trip to the USA must include the northwestern part of South Carolina, Western North Carolina, Northern Georgia, and Eastern Tennessee.

We have many good twisty roads and scenery.

Some ideas here: http://buckysride.blogspot.com/

More ideas are available, just let me know.

kiwionabike said...

Awesome - thanks Bucky ... much appreciated. Cheers, Nick.