Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 10 - bbbbrrrrrrr!

400kms - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford Sound - Te Anau

After my final stopover in Queenstown last night I set off quite early and enjoyed the empty early morning roads. Actually, the roads are empty down here most of the time. I had already ridden the road from Queenstown to Mosten before. I refuelled in Mosten, had a great coffee and bought some extra gloves for good measure as the temperature had dropped considerably.

At Te Anau I topped up just to be sure and headed off to Milford Sound. As soon as I headed off the rain set in and got heavier and heavier. The road itself wasn't in that good condition I thought for the only route in to one of our major tourist destinations. The scenery began to change dramatically and I was surrounded by huge snow capped mountains.

Close to the sounds I came across my archilles heel - a huge tunnel that literally went under the mountain. It was built in the early 1900's and was not like the tunnels in Switzerland that I have been through. Basically it was dark and damp with emergency phones throughout and you couldn't see the end when you drove in to it. The sound of Bertha was loud in the confined space and being someone who gets claustrophobic in confined spaces I didn't really enjoy the ride through Homer Tunnel, However I took a deep breath And popped out the other side to an even more dramatic landscape with wet slippery roads down to the bottom and Milford Sound where the ride was totally worth it.


















This is what the homer tunnel goes under..






The entrance of the tunnel...








I was going to get on one of the boats that showed off the sounds but decided that considering I could barely see 10 feet in front of me I would leave that for another time.

On the way back the weather stayed wet and windy so I decided to stop in Te Anau for the night where I have found a great self contained studion unit with flat screen tv, heating and bathroom at the top 10 holiday park for $89 - amazing!

Tomorrow I begin my journey up the island again :)

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Hmmm - Mosten? Where is Mosten? Do you mean Mossburn perhaps?

kiwionabike said...

Yes Rick ... I'm afraid detail is not my strong point, like planning :)