Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 2 approx 520kms - full post

Well, I arrived in Wellington thinking I had missed the 2.30pm ferry and would have to wait for the 8.30pm ferry across to the south island. As luck would have it, the 2.30 sailing was delayed so I arrived at 3.30pm about 10 minutes before it was due to sail. Perfect timing, so as I write this I am sitting on the ferry looking at the dark black clouds outside. :)

I decided to leave early from Hamilton as the weather was meant to be pretty good.




View to the golf course from my folks place early this morning




My lovely mum

Hamilton put on it's usual pea soup fog that stayed with me until just out of Cambridge where the blue sky shone through and I enjoyed a fantastic ride from then on. In fact I was having so much fun I didnt actually want to stop so only stopped for a couple of photos around Lake Taupo, Taihape and of course Mt Ruapehu and fuel and a great coffee just out of Turangi.


YouTube Video

At a pit stop around lake taupo



As I hit Turangi the weather closed in again and I was thinking that I was going to miss the view of Ruapehu, however, as I popped out of the desert road the winds had blown the clouds away and I had a tourist snap opportunity of Mt Ruapehu.













Taihape as per usual did not disappoint. Below is a short video and a Couple of snaps. They don't really do the area justice.


YouTube Video










As i neared Wellington, the weather turned crap and but as i motored to a stop at the ferry the rain stopped, i picked up a ticket and while waiting to ride into the ship met a couple of other riders on their own NZ treks.






Now its time to find some accom in Picton for tonight and grab a beer :) a great day!!

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

No comments: