Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 20 - Trip Review

What an awesome adventure it has been. We really do have a fantastic country. One of the advantages of our country is that you can have a wide variety of scenery to enjoy in relatively shorter distances -

Distance covered - 7350km's
Days on the road - 19
Mishaps - one flat rear tyre
Roads covered - tar seal, gravel, mud, dirt

Highlights -

Central Otago roads
Lewis pass with the snow
Te urewera ranges
Danseys pass for the views
Queenstown to Glenorchy - stunning scenery
Takaka and Motueka.
The serenity of being on the road with just me and Bertha and no one and nothing else.

Good accommodation - basically I found it very easy to find accommodation anywhere I went - in fact I was quite surprised with how quiet it was. I just randomly picked places and I would suggest you do the same. I also suggest that you do not plan ahead because the beauty of being on the road is that you can change your mind and go different easy or end up in different locations. This is the beauty of a road trip.

I put below a couple of my favourite pics.




Mt Ruapehu




Queenstown




Glenorchy




Fox Glacier




The West Coast




The West Coast




Central Otago







Danseys Pass




Lewis Pass




The Wild West Coast



All of the roads.....




Takaka Hill


Getting through Te Uruwera National Park in one piece....

Again, thanks for following my adventures. Do check back often as over the next couple of weeks the next leg of my journey continues.

I am being vague because the plans change every day. All I know at the moment is that next Monday I jump on a plane and spend 7 days on the gold coast in Australia then 10 days in Bali - this will be the "r and r" part of my journey as I catch up with old friends and hopefully sit round pools drinking brightly coloured cocktails :)

Until next time, take care.
Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

4 comments:

SonjaM said...

Nice recap. I love all the pics, but one stands out: the tranquility of Glenorchy. Can't wait to read about the next leg of your travels. Ride safe!

kiwionabike said...

Thank Sonja. Yes, I agree, I love that photo too. So calming and relaxing. Cheers, nick.

lou said...

hi nick - joan sent me a link to your blog - looks like you had a great trip and lucky you going to bali - i love bali especially ubud. thank goodness you were in ham to sort out the modem for joan. she is not going quietly with this computer business but at least she got a mac.
your mother is the greatest - we love her!

lou

kiwionabike said...

Hi Lou. It was my pleasure to be able t o help. Joan is lovely and a great mate to my mum .... They're both great company. Thanks for stopping by at my blog. Cheers, nick.