Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 3 - Picton to Timaru 495km's

I've just collapsed on the the bed at the motel after a long days ride. I set off from Picton at about 9.00am this morning and was immediately reminded about the great roads in the South Island. With sweeping corners and magnificent scenery so much of the island is a riders paradise. The weather stayed pretty dry until about Kaikoura where the drizzle set in and pretty much stayed with me the rest of the day, including very heavy rain on the Canterbury plains. This meant focus and concentration was the order of the day with greasy and wet roads.

I only got a couple of snaps of the scenery because of the weather but to be honest it didn't really matter as It was just fun to be on the journey. I stopped at a place called Ward, a tiny settlement with cafe and service station where I had the best bacon and egg pie I have ever had in my life.

The reason to head straight down SH1 was because I had organized to meet with my friends on Saturday in the Catlins which are right at the bottom of the island and to stay the night their then tootle across to queens town to stay for a couple of nights.

One thing i will say is the the roads either side of Christchurch on the Canterbury plains are BORING! About 50km north of ChCh and 100km Sth of the city they are long and straight and incredibly busy. I felt like I was on the motorway in Auckland they were so busy.

Pulling in to Timaru I decided it was time to stop for the night and pulled up at "bay watch motor lodge" the room is huge, with a great view to the water and to top it off, there is a lockable garage for Big Bertha so she can have a well earned dry sleep for the night. Decorated in such a way to take me back to my childhood and with the train track right out the front of the unit, but nice and central, warm and tidy.

Tomorrow, to the Catlins. Now, time for an early evening nap. :)




Picton















1 comment:

Raftnn said...

...........and the journey continues........