Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 7 - Queenstown to Hokitika - yeehaaa.....

490km's today - a pure riding day....

What an awesome riding day today ! I set off fairly early and enjoyed dry riding all day. After leaving Queenstown it was to Wanaka first. I decided to take the "short route" up and over coronet peak which gave me some great views of the valleys below. This is the road people take to the snow fields. Bloody lots of fun I can tell you. Think the steepest street in San Francisco with super twists and turns as you go.




On the way up the mountain ....


A quick stop in Wanaka for a coffee and refuelling and then to Haast pass i went. Stunning riding roads graced me yet again and even some snow on the tips of the mountains and really not that cold...... Well, i wasnt as i had on ....

2 pairs of socks
1 pair long johns under bike pants (think ned clampet from the beverly hillbillies)
1 long sleeve polypropelene top
1 t-shirt
2x jerseys
1x leather jacket
1x neck warmer
2x gloves

....and I was toasty warm


YouTube Video

I ran out of space on the memory card so it cuts out at end but you should get my excitement...










Im like literally riding alongside the clouds.....

.....and I popped out at Haast junction and enjoyed magical scenery all along the way ...













....until i got to Fox Glacier where I did a little more off roading down a dirt track then walked 10 mins to get this photo of Fox Glacier



...and on to Hokitika ....




















.....where I arrived when the sun was just setting .....



......oh, and by the way, i realised last night that i got my dates wrong and dont need to be back on the ferry to the north island next sunday, but the sunday after that ! Talk about a dizzy blond moment... More on that in the next few days....

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

3 comments:

the rider said...

Great photos Nick, what a beautiful country! I have been there but didn't get the chance to ride a bike then, I hope to be back one day and do a tour. I like your video diary too, adds a nice touch of immediacy to the post - I may use that myself sometime, keep up the good work Bro.

kiwionabike said...

Thanks mate. Cheers.:)

mq01 said...

fabulous! i especially loved the video, you are truly having a blast!!! thanks for the smile today! :)