Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 8 - Hokitika to Lake Tekapo

420kms today

So, this morning when i set off from Hokitika the original plan was to have a shorter riding day and head to Christchurch but after heading through Arthurs Pass I was having so much fun and the weather was good I decided that I didn't want to pass up the chance to ride a few more k's so after popping out after the mountain crossing I turned south and headed down the line again . .. There was also another reason .... Basically when I "planned" this time away I had worked out that I needed to be back on the ferry back to the north island on Sunday the 22nd in time to spend three days in Hamilton with my folks, then three days in Auckland to tie up any loose ends before getting on the plane to Australia. That date is right but I thought it was this coming Sunday when in fact it's the Sunday after so all of a sudden .... Seven extra days :) .... Dizzy blond .. That's me .... Anyway, back to today...

Arthurs Pass was fun then over to Canterbury. As you can see, we really do have all sorts of riding roads. I also took a detour and went up to the Mt Cook ski field, well as far as I could go before the road was closed. It meant I got a couple of great snaps down to Canterbury. It was a bit touch and go - the gravel was okay, but parts of the road was just mud so there was a bit of slipping and sliding, but all good fun!










Above - Arthurs Pass

















YouTube Video

As I came into the Lake Tekapo area that is very elevated there is a bit more snow about which is great and it is noticeably cooler.




Mid trip report -

Days on the road - 8
Distance travelled - 3250 km's

For the last three nights I have been staying with friends and have enjoyed great hospitality along the way. Tonight I decided to stay somewhere just a little bit fancy, so checked in to the peppers blue water resort at lake tekapo They had a great special on that was just too good to turn down :)

Poor old bertha is filthy and one of my extra spotlight bulbs has blown. She is also making a small rattling noise - I thinks there's a piece of gravel trapped somewhere. She's having fun though - I can tell :)

Tomorrow, to Queenstown again and then on to te anau and milford sound that I missed a few days ago. :)

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

2 comments:

bluekat said...

An extra week, how great is that! I never find extra days, especially if I'm having fun.

Interesting structures over the road in that first photo.

kiwionabike said...

Hi bluekat. They're to protect the road at spots wher slipping or excess water often occurs.