Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 9 - blue skies riding all day...

Lake Tekapo to Queenstown - 250kms

As I said yesterday, I stayed in some fancy accommodation last night at lake tekapo. When I woke this morning I was greeted by blue sky all around and a howling wind. I was a bit tardy in getting up and once i raised myself i crammed my plate full of the buffet breakfast which was lovely :)

By the time I set off it was 10.30 however as it was a shorter riding day I took my time and really enjoyed the scenery and roads. Up at this altitude the air is clear, you can see for miles and there were times when I thought I was on top of the world. The wind was extremely strong and for the first 50km this was great as it was at my back and Bertha hummed along nicely. Actually in high winds Bertha is in her element as she is very heavy so it doesn't really concern her much. Even with the wind, it was quite mild temperature wise compared to my previous day.

Funnily enough at one point there was a sign up saying high winds so I was taking it easy and around the corner coming the other way was a cop - the first I have seen in about 1000km's so I was able to wave as he went past feeling very virtuous. I must say that I do not envy their jobs and all joking aside it is an incredibly difficult and important job.

Tomorrow I head to te anau and Milford sound.






















Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

3 comments:

Brady said...

You live in an amazing country. I've only ever heard great things about NZ and fully intend to make it there before I die. Probably not this year, I'm moving to Germany, but even my wife agrees that it'd be a great place to be on a motorcycle.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

SonjaM said...

Hi Nick, great set of pics. I can't get enough. I hope the good weather stays with you.
Wishing you a continuous safe journey.

kiwionabike said...

Thank Sonja. Much appreciated. Cheers nick