Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 49 - Tropical Forest, west to east Malaysia

It was with excitement that I woke up ready to check out and begin the next exciting part of my journey. I was greeted by Lazi at the hotel door who took me to Faizals shop where we completed the paperwork and had the safety briefing.

It was then time to load the bike. Faizal had offered me a large top box which I seriously thought about taking, however, I was determined to take my back pack with me. I had thought ahead and had carried my favorite bungy cord with me from NZ, plus a couple of Faizals and voila, my bac pack fitted on the back with a bit of kiwi ingenuity. (and in 400+ kms today the tie downs worked brilliantly)








After fuelling up around the corner i set off and almost immediately got lost. I not so cleverly thought that if i headed towards the sun i was heading east and that was the direction i wanted to go but of course the roaring network doesn't quite work like that ! I had decided the night before that I wanted to get across to the east coast and get away from the "big city" for the first couple of days. With this false start about an hour and a half later I found myself heading back towards KL again so jumped off the bike and used the fab iPad google maps to orient myself to head in the right direction.

In typical difficult fashion I had decided that I didn't want to use the main arterial route that linked the west with the east, but wanted to use the back roads and get a sense of the countryside. This proved to be heaps of fun.




















Most of the roads could have been any back roads in the south island of new Zealand, apart from the extreme heat and tropical forest and palms growing everywhere :) it was fascinating traveling these roads and riding through small communities.

I also met a couple from Belgium a similar age to me who were backpacking around the world and only using pubIic local transport.

I could add more, but to be honest, I'm stuffed so am heading to bed now ready for new adventures tomorrow where I plan to head either up the coast or down the coast.

I am loving being self reliant again :)

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

2 comments:

Raftnn said...

Great Stuff NIck, sounds like an awesome adventure. I love meeting new people form every day walks of life, and that is one of the great joys of travelling.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick dear, What an interesting blog we have read today. Sounds like your first "real" biking day has been just wonderful and quite fascinating. how great to go out into the countryside of a new country and see it from so "close up". We look forward to your next "bully" - it's just as good as watching a first class travel program me on the TV. Thanks for the opportunity to share with you.