Thursday, June 16, 2011

Days 43 and 44 - Asalamalakum

I had a great 10 days in Bali. I have definitely found the amount of people and traffic and tourists an attack on all the senses. There is just so much going on all the time. I also need to say a huge thanks to david and Ian and their team for the most wonderful stay at the villa. I have been incredibly fortunate to have had such a luxurious base and may just take up the offer to return on my homeward journey.







I have managed to spend my time doing not an awful lot and it seems to have flown by. The last two days we went out for a couple of meals, we were cooked a feast and I lolled around in the pool.

One upside to this tropical weather is that I have lost some weight. I don't know how much, but my t shirts are a little looser. I think it's a combination of the heat, the water I have been drinking and the occasional exercise. At this rate, heading to KL and north, where the weather is even hotter and more humid, in 3 or 4 months I will be a little waif, well, maybe not, but all the same, it's all good.

I have also spent a bit of time doing some research around riding roads in Malaysia. I am determined to get a bike sorted sooner rather than later as I am chomping at the bit to get out on some decent roads again. The plan is to spend the next few days in KL doing a bit of planning. I do need to make sure that immigration gives me as long as possible in Malaysia as the current plan is to spend six weeks on a bike doing a big loop of the country then returning to KL to drop the bike off then take the train from KL up to Thailand. I will know more once I have done a bit more research while hopefully settled in at my accommodation in KL.

So, it's a three hour plane ride to KL from here and when I finally arrive at my accommodation I will try and get this post published.

Update -

I am now in my little apartment accommodation in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

First impressions? - the airport was a well oiled machine and they are determined to keep track of you here as all foreigners have to provide a fingerprint on this funny little machine at immigration. This is apparently to keep track of illegal immigrants. The upside is that I must have looked okay as no questions were asked and I have a 90 day visa stamped in my passport. Once I grabbed my bag I was waived through customs and I was out. Before jumping on the high speed train into the city I popped out for a cigarette and was immediately hit by the sheer heat and humidity. Immediately I started sweating profusely but luckily I had packed a little towel in my carry on for this very reason.

The other observation is that it is quite obviously a Muslim country. I am waiting to hear the call to prayer tomorrow morning and am really interested in learning more about this most populous religion. Once I leave the big city I am sure a blond, red bearded, short and not so slim kiwi lad sweating profusely will attract just a little attention. The final observation is the fact that English is so widely used as in fact an official language of the country apparently.

The high speed train took 28 minutes to get to the city. After popping out I took a detour to grab a sim for my phone. They laughed when they saw my phone. We are way behind in NZ I think. I then booked my taxi and paid at the taxi kiosk and had a ride in a Mitsubishi tredia that had done 550,000 km's ! To my accommodation where I am now.

Anyway, I am quite stuffed so will turn in for the night so I am refreshed for exploring tomorrow - firstly to a laundromat to do some washing. :)

The new experiences just keep on coming thick and fast !

PS....my thoughts are again with the people of Christchurch at the moment. You guys take care of yourselves !

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

No comments: