Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 85 and 86 Bronchitis, Bangkok and grasshoppers

Today I am having an extremely quiet day having done a great job of getting a nasty bout of bronchitis. The staff here have been great and yesterday afternoon I headed off to the doctor to get some medication and have a check up. Sure enough, I had a fever, a nasty cough, phlegm and bronchitis. The doctor was great and very thorough and I now have a number of pills to combat all of the above. Yesterday and last night I was well looked after and today I have done virtually nothing as I am keen to get the sweats under control as it's not a very nice look, that's for sure. The annoying thing is that it was completely self induced as I fell asleep a couple of nights ago on top of the bed with the air conditioning on, blowing full tilt onto me.

I am planning to be on a plane on the way to Bangkok on Sunday so am keen to get this sorted.

On a slightly funnier note, a couple nights ago I feasted on grasshoppers, slugs and beetles or cockroaches. They were roasted and I quite enjoyed the grasshoppers, but not so much the slugs and beetles. I am not sure whether my stomach enjoyed them too much as I think they could be the cause of my iffy stomach!




The weather here has been quite volatile the last week or so with rain and wind coming in irregularly with lots of moist heat.

Today I will book for Bangkok and I have to say that I am really excited about a number of things.

Firstly, finding an apartment that I can base myself at and setting up home as it were so that I spend some time not living out of a bag. Secondly, I will have an opportunity to buy a decent big bike with a lot more choices seeing that Bangkok is so large and a third reason that I will talk about in a few days when i have worked out some of the practicalities. I already have the first journey on the bike from Bangkok sorted in my head - up to the north east of Thailand to the Isaan area, and the second will be to Chiang Mai. I also plan to go to school in Bangkok to learn some more/better Thai.

Yes, it is true Bryan :) that my plans have changed somewhat but that is the beauty of life, sometimes when you least expect it, new roads are created.




Today and tomorrow will consist of going slow so that i can kick the bronchitis. I actually feel okay. It is just at night when i get an annoying cough which stops me from sleeping that its a pain. I am hopeful that i will be so stuffed tonight that i will have to sleep.




Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

2 comments:

Gary France said...

Well, this journey of yours is turning into a real adventure! Sorry to hear about the illness, but great to hear about the food you are eating! Grasshoppers I will try, but slugs??? Enjoy Thailand - I love the place. My brother lives in Chiang Mai, so I have been there a couple of times.

SonjaM said...

I am glad that you are getting taken care of. Hope the friggin' bronchitis will go away soon. I am with Gary on the grasshoppers, but nope to slugs for me. Take it slow and be better soon.