Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 88 - 90 ..This is a long one ....

Day 88 - Bangkok awaits....

Written on Sunday night .....

As I write this I am sitting at the Phuket domestic terminal waiting for the flight to Bangkok. Joining me on the next adventure is Mr. Top.



Good bye Phuket....

Top and I met at the hotel in Phuket on the first day I arrived and we've become great friends which has blossomed into a new relationship. After lots of discussions, Top has made the decision to leave Phuket and travel with me to Bangkok. It has been a big decision for both of us, and one that has felt right.

Sometimes in life new roads are created and we have chosen to take this one and see where it leads. Life is too short to worry about the what ifs and finding all the reasons not to give something a go. Since the first day I arrived in Thailand we have pretty much spent every day together and had a great time while getting to know each other. It is early days and not something that I was expecting or looking for but lovely none the less ....... we have an opportunity to find out whether this could be long term or not so we've made the decision to give it a try, rather than spend years wondering what may have been? Now, 8 months after the break up of my 8 year relationship i feel ready to dip my toe in again as it were.

Continued on Monday....

We arrived in Bangkok yesterday afternoon and came straight to the hotel which is a completely over the top 5 star hotel for the price I paid for a cheap motel in Westport in New Zealand. We have a beautiful suite on the 54th floor with outstanding views of Bangkok.



Hello Bangkok!












The view from our hotel room ....

We organized to meet a couple of Tops friends the first night we were here and we headed out to one of the 1000's of roadside eateries for some great local food.

After a great night we arrived back to the hotel and then promptly had an unpleasant experience with the hotel porter, who misunderstood our booking and made some derogatory comments. I don't normally get riled by these things, however the hotel porter was way out of line, and the inferences made were a slight on my character . I was so insulted by the comments I couldn't sleep, and made a formal complaint. We met with the general manager of the hotel this morning and I felt he was very sincere in his apologies and I do believe it was a procedural error as opposed to anything terribly untoward, but still, this doesn't change what happened, and although I am fairly thick skinned, it is super important that management are made aware when such things happen.

As a result we have one extra night complimentary whenever we wish to use it and one of our two booked nights is now free as well as a written apology from the hotel. As well as this we must have been red flagged as all the staff have been so ingratiatingly nice and polite since this incident that it has been somewhat over the top and I am looking forward to checking out today. I detest bigoted non respectful behavior, but I also detest insincerity.

This is the first time in my life that I have seriously complained and made a major scene, and I believe with this issue it was completely and utterly warranted. Anyway, moving on.

Onwards and upwards as they say, and this afternoon we went and checked out the first apartment I had found over the Internet. It is very nice, in fact brand new, in a great location, fully furnished right down to the knives and forks, all brand new. It comes with a basement carpark and the complex has a roof top pool and gym and 24 hour front reception service. All this for $182 NZ per week! It is also situated in a great central location.

This evening we went and saw another apartment in the same complex, but higher up the building, better views, slightly bigger and 1000 bhat a month cheaper so about $172 NZ a Week! I signed up on the spot.

Continued on Tuesday....

We are now ensconced in my new base for the next three - four months and I love it! It is not large but totally comfortable for two and new, clean and tidy and actually a he'll of a lot bigger than many of the shoebox apartments in Auckland. I've just had a swim in the roof top swimming pool which is superb. It is an extremely modern apartment block (only 1 year old) in a great central location and even comes with a carpark for the bike.







24 hour security guards and on site managers.


Roof top swimming pool... (plus gym)


View from the bedroom...


Living area leading to the bedroom with the kitchen off to the left and bathroom out of view.


Kitchen and balcony... (sorry, amateur photographer!)


Dining...



The 4 below ...from the rooftop area













All this fully furnished with carpark for $172 NZ per week! AND, it's got air conditioning!

Tomorrow night i am keen to celebrate as I am so happy with this!

Cheers, Nick

















4 comments:

SonjaM said...

Wow, sweet accommodation. Talk about traveling in style.

MasterBry said...

Re:Good bye Phuket....

Well good on you Nick, your right, life is for living and taking a chance on new paths, who can know where things will go, just as long as you enjoy the journey :-)

Re:Hello Bangkok!

Wow Great views out on the city, but is that a picture of a mud flow, lahar, or indeed a muddy river flowing through it hahaha :-)

Re:Continued on Tuesday....

Wow, $172.00 per week for that, thats awesome!
Does it come with a spare bed for visitors, never been to Bangkok

kiwionabike said...

Thanks Bryan :)

We have a sofa and a floor :) ... Any time you're welcome to stay.

Yes, unfortunately that is a very muddy polluted river!

:) Nick.

Geoff James said...

Nice one Nick!

It really is a lovely country with equally lovely people. Will be starting my write-up when the jet lag/general tiredness wears off!