Monday, August 29, 2011

Days 111 - 115 Thai School

The days seem to be rolling in to each other with nearly a week passing here in Bangkok.

I have enrolled at a local Thai language school and had my first three hour one on one lesson on Friday which was lots of fun. I also have an extra teacher here at the condo who is helping me when I get stuck. There is a lot to learn, the biggest problem being my limited vocabulary which I can only increase by learning words off by heart. This is proving to be a little bit challenging for the old brain and I have had to dust off the cogs and try and remember how to learn and more importantly store all the information. I have got my head around the structure of the sentences which is definitely helping. The language school is only a 500m walk from here which is great and my tutor is a lovely lady who smiles patiently as I ask the same questions over and over. Of course, I want to be able to speak fluentlynow, but need to remember that I need to crawl first before walking.

I also met a really nice Aussie guy up at the pool a couple of days ago. He worked here in Bangkok for 10 years and has since retired and bought a condo in the building with his Thai partner. He now lives off the rental stream from his two properties in Australia. He was very interesting to talk to.

We are also working through the quagmire that is new Zealand immigration and have filled out the forms and this morning need to go and get a couple of things witnessed by a lawyer then will go in to the nz immigration office tomorrow to see whether we have done it right. It is a little nerve racking but I suppose we just have to be patient.

I have also made a de vision about when we will go home to nz. Originally, I was looking at the end of November, but I have been a bit concerned about the fact that by t time we get home and see everyone, when I go back to work will be when it is just getting quiet and heading in to the lull that is dec/Jan so I have decided to get home in October, not December so I can have a couple of months to get a sale under my belt before Christmas I now haven't been working for over four months, and as nice as it is, I cannot sustain it at this juncture in my life. We were planning to go to hong kong on the way home with one of my best friends and his girlfriend. I am yet to let him know and don't quite know how to tell him, but I know he reads this blog so am sure I will get an email from him.there is always the chance that we could go to hong kong from new Zealand depending on the work situation.

If things work out in nz and Yammie likes it, and then we can successfully get a work visa for him, we can then save up and will definitely come back. If it doesn't work out then I will still come back again at some juncture. Looking around there are many opportunities here I reckon.

I have also started to give yam driving lessons which is proving to be fun. He has now driven around the block a few times and is starting to master driving in to the condo carpark. Yesterday we just about ran over the security guards, but luckily they know us now as do allthe small food stall owners down our soi (street) so they were able to see the humor in it. I know i have said it before, but thai people are really very friendly and i definitely will miss that when we leave. On Saturday when we went to pick up our laundry at a shop over the other side of the river, Yammie got us back to the condo in one piece. He is doing very well.

So, as you can see, life carries on and I have settled in to a regular pace of life quite nicely.

By the by, as I write this I am sitting on our (very) little balcony looking out at the vista and there is a large construction site a stones throw from here. They work 24 hours a day and it is going to be the tallest residential block in Thailand at 88 stories high and will take four years to build. I would love to see it when it is finished. It will be magnificent. Picture below -



Our condo "life@sathon" is the small one (27 stories) you can see directly behind the new massive one been built (88 stories) - it's going to be called Maha Nahkon - at the moment theyre still moving dirt, so nothing much to see.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

1 comment:

Brady said...

Nick

You're teaching someone to drive in THAILAND? Didn't you just say it's an insane place to drive? Maniac.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/