Sunday, September 25, 2011

Days 143-144 Party Time

So, I had an amazing night last night....and no it wasn't because the all blacks and warriors won, but because i have been part of yet another amazing cultural experience, and after all, this blogs all about me :)

While you guys were all watching the rugby, we were out preparing for a small party which was part of the families farewell and best wishes for Yam and me. We spent the day tootling around the markets picking up fresh produce for the occasion and at around 7.00pm members of the village started arriving until there were about 30 people here. I was actually quite nervous as it was obvious that for part of it Yammie and I were going to be centre of attention :), so after out preparations, it was time for a quick shower then I put on my best clothes - my blue t shirt and jeans and sat patiently on the mat while people arrived. Initially our job was to make sure everyone had a drink. The men sat on one side and the women sat on the other side preparing the string wristbands for the small ceremonial part of proceedings.

Yammie and I then knelt on one of the mats and had some beautiful silk draped over us while individual people came up and offered prayers of good luck and such. After each person had done their thing we bowed in the Buddhist way and payed our respects to the person. At the same time that the string was put on our wrists there were two or three people touching our arms at the same time.

It was then time for some awesome food - everything centers around food in Thailand and we took a back seat and cleared plates, etc while the men smoked and drank a little more and the women chatted and chewed tobacco leaves.

By 10.00pm (which is very very late here) most people had left and there was just really Yammie and me and a couple of his friends who left shortly after.

I fell into bed exhausted but very happy and again so very touched by the family and the communities celebration and acceptance of our relationship.























The photo above is Khun Mere and Kun Paw (Yammies parents)




Tey ... Yammies very cute and naughty nephew











All in all yet another amazing night!

Today, we head back to Bangkok.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to follow my blog. Cheers, Nick.

1 comment:

SonjaM said...

Nick, what a lovely ceremony. I bet you must feel very welcome in this culture.